free Bluechart data

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Colin

free Bluechart data

Post by Colin »

Has anyone found an Internet source of reliable free Bluechart data and down-loadable marine charts that are Garmin compatible?
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
Manxman
Post by Manxman »

No but if you can borrow a Blue chart map source CD, and copy it here are the unlocking codes.

S/N: The Unlock Code For MapSource Bluechart Atlantic is: <deleted by webmaster>
The Unlock Code For MapSource Bluechart America is: <deleted by webmaster>
Colin

Post by Colin »

I thank you for your message, but wish you'd not posted it. At the risk of sounding like a prude, I'm against cracked programs for many reasons and hope I don't bore this forum by citing what I think are two obvious ones.

If passwords are distributed freely throughout the Net; what motive is there for anyone to create software?

In the long run we become the victims of our own greed since, but for a few hobbyists, who will be writing software?

Thanks anyway.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Well said, Colin, and I agree 100%. Please dont confuse 'sounding like a prude' with 'having character'

Im not sure what you are looking for is available honestly, although there are freeware charts on the web available now for lowrance GPS...

There has been a lot of discussion on the macgregor board about this. I can point you there or link Click here and search for it there.....cheers
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
John@sos

Piracy

Post by John@sos »

Piracy, Yes Folks that is what it is and I agree with the webmaster's decision to delete the offending codes.

Seagull have had loads of problems with dodgy CD copies of Manuals etc, (not very good copies either!) I have even seen one wag con people into paying him money for a download of duff material.

If anyone wants to legitmatley give away this sort of thing it should be available as shareware or the like, no harm in that.

When it comes to charts and the like, someone has to do the legwork, the surveys etc and that will not be for free, so we should all pay our little bit towards it.

I buy new Admiralty charts every now and again, and they will give me updates for a number of years, but there comes a time when a new set is needed, so we have to put our hands into those pockets... Hard though it might feel at the time!

I agree with the comment about no new software too. We all enjoy the latest, so I believe we should pay, seems ony right to me, not prudishness! Well said Catigull and Colin

John
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thank you John and Steve for your support, and our Webmaster for deleting the link.

I also occasionally update my charts (hard-copy, Queen Charlotte Islands, south to the 49th parallel) from the Canadian Hydrographic Service. The reason for my original message; I just bought a Garmin GPS unit and it will take a couple of weeks for my CD of Pacific charts to arrive. In the meantime I was looking for something to practice with from my home.

Personally, I'd be very wary of using anything but legitimate charts or software; my safety and my boat are worth more than the few dollars I might save.

Thanks for the link Steve, I'll check it out.
Colin

Northern Star
Vancouver BC.
Duane A.

Post by Duane A. »

As much as I like to have anything free, there is a limit to good taste and fairness. I'm so proud to see that occuring on this web site. On the lighter side of charts - I wish I could learn to love CD charts! I guess I'm too old school. I've had a few problems using CD charts!! The nicest thing that has happened here in the U.S. is being able to have Hard copy/paper Charts printed up with all the newest notice to mariner reports etc. already updated! Some Ship Chandler's or Marine Stores have this service available now and more to come soon. No use buying outdated charts and having to spend hours bringing them up to date anymore. The price of charts is a pain, but running agound or onto a lee shore is a bit more pricey.
Duane A.

Post by Duane A. »

As much as I like to have anything free, there is a limit to good taste and fairness. I'm so proud to see that occuring on this web site. On the lighter side of charts - I wish I could learn to love CD charts! I guess I'm too old school. I've had a few problems using CD charts!! The nicest thing that has happened here in the U.S. is being able to have Hard copy/paper Charts printed up with all the newest notice to mariner reports etc. already updated! Some Ship Chandler's or Marine Stores have this service available now and more to come soon. No use buying outdated charts and having to spend hours bringing them up to date anymore. The price of charts is a pain, but running agound or onto a lee shore is a bit more pricey.
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Colin ...I had a few days service for my Garmin charts from

www.gpsdiscount.com

They show the Pacific Bluechart in stock with a single unlock code for 150 USD or therabouts

I dont have any financial interest in this firm, just a happy customer.
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop