I was the only biddder.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Horsley-Anarak

I was the only biddder.

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Won this century today.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:1123

To me it looks like it has had little or no use.
5.jpg
The cylinder head bolts and the water outlet in the cylinder are a good indication of how much work it has done.
1.jpg
Tank look quite good.

Will remove the recoil because they are so ugly.

Hope it is OK.

H-A
Oyster 49

Re: I was the only biddder.

Post by Oyster 49 »

Nice one, you will be needing a new shed soon... :D
livewire

Post by livewire »

Wow HA i bet your misses is very happy with another. :D

If you pop your recoil back on the bay it may work out a very cheap engine if not free.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

livewire wrote:Wow HA i bet your misses is very happy with another. :D
Funny you should say that, she called me a sad Ba****d. :)

Then when we need lots of engines that work and don't breakdown like some 170s did at Lerryn, they are all smiles.
van.jpg
They soon forget, it is still less than the cost of the MOT test on her car this weekend.

H-A
livewire

Post by livewire »

Hmm, i don't think mine will ever smile with regards Seagulls. Or any outboards come to think of it.

Makes me smile when i annoy her though. :D
PAULT50

Post by PAULT50 »

Nice buy. It's good to let the lady know shes not the center of attention all the time, mine just has a hard time understanding the attraction of an oily oil guzzeling, noisy, smelly, environment polluting engine, the reply to me telling her that it does what i want and it won't talk back isn't printable , although telling her that the one thing they have in common is the odd backfire didn't help. Anywho, pic of my latest find, and yes "sad ba****d" was also mentioned, started on the 4th pull though after a clear out, sad ba****d or not, RESULT!!
Attachments
18012012268.jpg
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Thats an early throttle you got there...bonus!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

That is a big ugly gearbox though.

Pop a featherweight box on that and give it a tweak, then you will be ready for "Hayling Island 2012" :D

H-A
PAULT50

Post by PAULT50 »

Could happen, has there been any date thought off for it yet? would love to come over but summer work has been committed to and free weekends will be scarce.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

I have come to realise that any problems we men have with our wifes or mistresses are usually due to our down selfish shortsightedness and stupidity .
And yet we , at least we should, know that the other side needs occaisional attention and responds like a thoroughbred .
Just like our seagulls. And since joining this site it has become so apparent that there is a hugh number of men committed wholeheartedly to these machines.But who suffer untold abuse from loved ones.
So , for the past 4 weeks I have, after any stripping of the water jacket, any checking of the gearbox or waterways, any fine tuneups or replacing of a plug, or polishing of the exhaust or humping the blasted thing onto its stand ready for its regular inspection and or servicing , I have deliberately and calmly walked down the driveway , into the garage and attended to the seagull as well.
My life is, at present anyway, running like a dream.
Chemical free too.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Picked engine up today, all look as expected. Has run very little.

Totally untouched and seized solid :o Took head off, and found that the waterways were oiled.

He had tried to move the piston hence the little dent in the piston crown, bit of heat and it was soon moving.

When I turned it over there was a flake of rust blown through the transfer port, so total strip down to find why it was seized.
Head off.jpg
The waterways had no corrosion, they are like new, you can still see the casting marks.
waterways.jpg
The guy had obviously taken great care with this engine, but made a fatal mistake.

He had filled the waterways with oil and then stored the engine upside down.

The square drive tube was rusted to the crank not the gearbox. Bottom of crank is rusty, and there is a deep rust mark in the bore.
rust mark.jpg
This is below the rings so should not cause a problem.

Looking down the exhaust tube there is no carbon or oil, it is very clean which makes me think this engine has done very little.
exhaust.jpg
Not a bad buy for £50, lesson of the day don't store your engines upside down, or any water in the water pump will end up at the bottom of the crank.

Then it will make its way into the crankcase.

H-A
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Another one done.
done.jpg
Unrestored just cleaned, I did change the crank as there was pitting on the bottom journal.

Popped it in the tank and it did start first pull. :)
running.jpg
Pumps like it should.
running 2.jpg
I would say a good buy at £50.

I like the unrestored look

H-A
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

Hi H.A.

Certainly looks a good buy, how many do you have now?
Excuse my ignorance, what's the journal in the crank you mention?

I've got two 40+ lying not working. I have spoken about them already, one was totally seized but with time and soaking it came free. The other was running but a bit of wire broke off from where the piston rod is secured at the conrod (I think this is explaining right terminology) I'm sure some people will correct me. Anyway, the result was broken rings and bad scores on the piston and bore. Having rebuilt it I found there was snagging when I pulled it to start, almost causing the engine to be pulled off it's stand. Having had comments from you guys I now think maybe there is some distortion somewhere. My situation is this, I have two engines which I can scavage and make one runner and get some spares.
Here's where my inexperience is, how do I tell where there's any distortion on the piston rod or crank/conrod or whatever? How would you go about this?

By the way, I used to be registered as "Outboard" until the site went down then I had to re-register and now I had to change my username.

Thanks for the pictures too, it makes it easier for guys like myself to understand what you experts are talking about.

Nice £50 worth.
Gerard
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

spiderg wrote:Hi H.A.

Excuse my ignorance, what's the journal in the crank you mention?

Gerard
Wondered where you had gone Gerard :D

The crank main journal is the part that runs in the main bearings.
rusty crank.jpg
The lower bearing surface of this crank has pitting over most of its surface.

It would run, but may wear out the bronze bearing in a short time.

So as I have a few spares i replaced it.

Your engine should be sorted by now :) I find that if the engine is stiff to turn over, but the piston moves freely in the cylinder then its the crank.

It is quite hard to test without the correct equipment.

If you remove the conrod from the crank then put the crank in the crankcase it should spin freely, and not bind up.

Then put the conrod back on the crankshaft, when the big end bolts are fully tight, the con rod should fall under its own weight.

That is two thing to test Gerard, let us know how you get on.

H-A
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

Thanks H.A. you're right, this project should've been well done and dusted, unfortunately I've been stuck for time with work and family, what I have done is get my FPC running so sweetly and pumping water as it should, so I've not been a complete lazy B!

Thanks for the explanations, as usual it was kept plain and simple for me to understand.

Gerard