This Years Hayling Island Marathon 2012.

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

This Years Hayling Island Marathon 2012.

Post by Charles uk »

Well the provisional date is July the 21st & I still have to confirm that we are able to use the excellent venue that we used last year.

This year we are a bit restricted on suitable tide times that fall on a weekend, & the first good summer tide is right at the start of the scool holidays.

We're still looking at the details of a Half Marathon for 64cc classic Seagulls, it would help a lot, if we had a resonable idea of how many people would like to join us on the half marathon.

Watch this space for further details.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Re: This Years Hayling Island Marathon 2012.

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles uk wrote:We're still looking at the details of a Half Marathon for 64cc classic Seagulls, it would help a lot, if we had a resonable idea of how many people would like to join us on the half marathon.
Perhaps we need to do a recce Charles, now the weather has improved. :)

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Had a chat with Jan the dutchman (07/04/12) who informs me that the dutch invaders will be coming in force to Ichenor this year, I'd better inform the sailing club, so they can order a tanker of suitable refreshment for them.

Apparently Martin has bought a metal boat for this years cruise, at least it's aluminium not steel like Jan's, perhaps we should all buy wooden shoes to make them feel at home.

It will be good to see them again.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Hi Charles,

We are looking for a suitable trailer.
klompboot_stwatert_2057206a.jpg
Jan
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

That looks like an Italian boat, it doesn't look Dutch at all!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Do they travel in pairs..... :D
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Some time in the very near future I should give Ichenor Sailing club an indication of the numbers that will require accomadation, so if your thinking of joining us please let me know & I'll get them to pencil in your booking.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

So what classes are we running Charles?

Round the Island Stock Century and Modified Century.

Inside route 40+/- any boat.

Should we post the rules and Regs again ?

I think we need a ideas of numbers to see if the inside route is worth the additional support boats.

If we get 26 boats it will be the world second biggest Seagull race this year, Lerryn being the biggest :D

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I think your right on the classes H-A, but I think we need to have a discussion on suitable hulls for the inside route.

An indication of the numbers for the inside run would make the decision over the viability a lot easier.

If there's no response in the next couple of weeks perhaps we should leave it till next year & concentrate on the marathon.

The rules are on here somewhere I'll see if I can find them & repost.
blue

Post by blue »

hi charles----enjoyed it last year---book me and the wife into sailing club---regards blue
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Any idea on the numbers yet Charles.

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Just had news that there shoud be 4 Dutch invaders this year ( 2 boats) & 4 English boats + 1 safety boat, all for the full marathon.

Not even a nod on the half marathon for the 40's.

At least our recce was a nice day out, so not a complete waste of time.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hi Charles,

Plan is to bring my traditional, 16ft open boat, a copy of an 1880Thames Waterman's Wherry, 'Seagull' . Powered with either my model 75 or maybe a 90 if I can get time to build one. With the 90 and reverse it will save me bumping into walls etc! I have already been donated a rather nice traditional rope bow fender by someone who saw me ram the canal wall last year....!

Sadly do not think I will have time to sort out the masts, rig and centreboard, so it will be a powered rowing boat!

Will be accompanied by Darian of course and we are looking to find safe boat storage at the club maybe, and a suitable Holiday Inn nearby to cater for she who must be obeyed! If time serves we will stay another day so we can visit Pompey Dockyard again, we had a bare 2 hours earlier there this year, (when picking up an eBay bargain, an Optimist dinghy for No 1 Grandson to learn in) and visited 'Victory', but would like to use the rest of the ticket we bought on the day but did not use, to see the 'Warrior' etc.

Look forward to meeting up with Jan and Marten again, and all the crowd that turned out to the Essex events and saying hello to others we know only by their Avatars!. This one is real open seas, not sure if I should bring the chart table, compass, GPS and radar..... Will be fitting the floatation bags though!

Regards,
John
SOS
blue

Post by blue »

hi john---the acccomadation at itchenor sailing club is warm clean and basic and reasonably priced and the view in over the harbour with your morning coffee is wonderful

------look forward to meeting you-----------regards blue
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles any idea on number yet, I need to laminate some route charts.

I had a PM about the 40+ event inside the harbour, are there any more that want to take part?

Are the Dutch men coming as we need to finish the spare boat for Jan,

That reminds me I must put my engine back together. :)

The weeks are pasing quickly, If you want to come and take part then can you let Charles L or myself know, so we have a better idea of numbers.

Thanks

H-A