This Years Hayling Island Marathon 2012.

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: This Years Hayling Island Marathon 2012.

Post by Charles uk »

Well the Dutchmen have confirmed.

It looks like Lerryn won't hold the title for the largest number of boats in a Seagull race for much longer, apparently 65 signed up & paid their money yesterday, $130 US, some late comers seem to turn up on race day so it could be a very big one, & the weather looks exiting.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello Charles,

Can you tell me exactly where the venue is, as I do not think it can be on Hayling itself, is it the other side of Chichester Harbour somewhere? Want to try and book a nice hotel for boss and I for a couple of nights!

And a little snippet, Essex Seagull Event is to be on the canal again, this year we will be going up through locks to pub lunch. I have to attend to do a 'lock course' ! to get a permit to use! Dates end of Sept or early Oct... more info later

Cheera,
John
SOS
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

No sooner posted this than the phone rings to tell me Charles has had his wings clipped!

Charles very best wishes old son, sounds like a nasty accident to break both leg bones, guess you will be crocked for the event.

however knowing you I bet all is in hand.

If anyone is in mobile contact with Charles, (I have not got his mobile number) check up on him and see how he is for us all.

If, and I suspect there is, a partner in crime on here for this event, perhaps they will let all know.

I am closing SOS down for a week to try and catch some sunshine on my boat, back July 2nd. but you can catch me on my mobile, via my answerphone if urgent.

Get well soon Charles, have we got a Water Ambulance?

John
SOS
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Well I have found the venue, Itchenor Sailing Club, and an excellent one it looks too and booked in for 2 nights, Friday and Saturday!

They seem to have a few rooms left too, if anyone is wanting on site accomodation....

Come on Charles, get fit soon, in the meantime keep taking the tablets and leave the nurses alone.!

John
SOS
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello All

I have closed down for a week, to try and get some sailing in, (at least it looks better than it was a fortnight ago). Back July 2nd.

I have spoken to Charles and though he is back home, he is horizontal and will be for a week or two. Sounds as if he is going to have fun with the airport x-ray machines from now on!

He assures me he is on for Hayling Island and though not 'racing' he hopes to get a berth in one of the safety boats. Doubtless he will be back on here as soon as he is able.

I have ordered an Imray Y33 chart of the area so I do not get lost in deepwater!

Good luck Charles

Regards,
John
SOS
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I fancy coming along to this event, I've got a suitable engine (Highly tuned race prepared 1969 102 no less), but no suitable boat. Does anybody want a co-pilot? :P
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster, as my crew are not too "bothered" about another Seagull race, I am able to offer you a place in my Seagull event winning boat( that is the yellow one :D )

It is a well proven sea boat, having been round Hayling many times, and it even won last year.

If you would like to be my co-pilot that is not a problem, unless there is anyone else who has got a boat and wants to come.

Charles is Jan using your boat.

PM Charles if you need a place to sleep.

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Is it still the saturday 21st july?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote:Is it still the saturday 21st july?
Yes it is, even if the old git is on his crutches.

I think we have 7 boats at the moment.

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Perhaps we could nick one of his crutches as a tiller extension that fits nicely in the armpit for endurance events :lol: He would then be able to walk in a perfect circle!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Here is the route chart if any one was wondering how involved the event is.

This is about 22 miles, depending on how shallow you dare go.

The open sea element is not too long, and if the weather on the day is bad we will opt for the in harbour route.

If anyone would like a laminated copy of the route, please let me know and I will print some.

Thanks

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I should be good to come along, what's the start time?
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

A little ditty, composed in 'honour' of His Charlesness..... :)

Convinced he was bound to be flailing,
Against H-A and others around Hayling,
In an alleged fit of sloth,
Charles broke tib and fib both,
To avoid accusations of baling!

.....but I can think of easier and less painful ways to do so..!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

OMG only 12 days to go for the Olympic years longest UK British Seagull event.

Lucky I rebuilt my race engine at the weekend. :wink:

The start time will be 12.00 bst, from Itchenor slip, there is a spring tide so there will be lots of water.

If you would like a copy of the route please P.M. me and I will print some off.

The rules are as per last year. (I think that Is correct Charles, I have added a little bit at the end, If there are no more revisions before the event then these are the rules)

Rules for the Hayling Island Marathon

Hulls
All boats must have a minimum hull length of 3.5 meters and be in a sound seaworthy condition carrying 2 occupants and a Seagull at a minimum speed of 5 Mph.

With the following additional fuel & equipment:-

1. Oars and all components necessary to use them, or a paddle for each occupant.
2. Anchor with a minimum of 30 foot of suitable rope.
3. 20 foot towrope with provision for secure attachment to the hull in a suitable position.
4. Mobile phone in waterproof bag
5. Sufficient premixed fuel for a 25 mile run (15 liters).
6. Spare prop spring, spark plug and sufficient tools to fit them plus other tools and a sharp knife to cope with most minor running repairs and adjustments.
7. 2 Bailers.
8. Lifejacket or equivalent for each crew member

Crew
Both crew members must be capable of full safe operation of boat & motor in a man overboard situation.

Permissable motor types

Classic Motor Class 102cc 102, Century & Silver Century Models
Models 75, 80, 90 & 110
Including serial numbers starting, OJ, ON, OP, SN, SD, C, D, AC, TC, WC, AD, TD, WD, AHC, THC, WHC, EC, ED, EHC, LLS, W, CP, WP, CPC, WPC, S, WS, WSC, ESC, SP, SPC, WSPC, ESPC, & EFNR.

1) Stock -Stock means stock. no modifications. Motors must comprise of the parts that are listed in the Seagull parts list for that series of motor including props, but these parts must not be modified in any way. (See note 1) Cavitation plates permitted, Props may be tidied up & polished.

2) Modified - Motors must comprise of the parts that are or have been listed in the British Seagull parts list. Pistons must match motor type. Parts may be modified in any way provided that the traditional appearance of the power head is not compromised. Cavitation plates permitted. The use of a non-seagull prop. is permitted.
Cylinder Bore and Stroke must remain 57mm and 40mm respectively.

Notes
1. Casting imperfections in the ports may be removed, but this does not allow port polishing or changes in port timing.

Safety

All persons take part at their own risk, but it is the sole responsibility of the skipper to be aware of the risks of small boating.

It must be the skippers decision whether to take part having regard to the weather conditions, the experience and competence of him/herself and of the other crew and passengers.

Proceed with care and observe the rules of safety at sea. Help others who may be in difficulty, protect the enviroment and don't take unnecessary risks.

As we are have a run of windy wet weather that is going to last for some time, the route on the day may well be changed to a route not including an open sea leg.
It will be decided on the day.

Hope some of you will like to get involved, the boat club has a good bar and does good food, it must be worth popping in for the social bit.
If you let John know he may be able to bring spares with him to save on postage.

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

See you there skipper!