Impellor/Pumping Water

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Les Simmonds
Impellor/Pumping Water

Post by Les Simmonds »

I have just aquired a Seagull (LLS type) and can't seem to get any water flowing from the outlet when I test it in a barrel. I understand that Seagull's do not pump water at low revs and water displacement can become a problem when testing them in a barrel. I have checked the impeller etc and can't see an obvious problem. Does the shaft go through the centre of the impeller without a metal insert and/or packing to hold it in place? I am not mechanically minded but the way it is set up looks a little strange to me. Help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Les
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello Les,

the impeller is in fact a rotor. the rotor works by simple centrifugal force, like a washing machine pump. Try removing the split pin and washer, then the drive spring from the prop. If the prop slides of well and good take it off, if reluctant to slide off, just let it free wheel and try again. The motor should pump if the water is 2" up the exhaust tube.

If not follow the tips on the FAQ page, starting with the garden hose up the outlet hole on the underside of the block! Bet you get wet doing it! I always do!

Regards,
John
SOS
Les Simmonds
Post by Les Simmonds »

Thanks John,
I will give it a go first thing in the morning. It is 9.15 pm here in Tauranga, New Zealand and I don't think my neighbours would appreciate the noise.
Les
Les Simmonds
Impeller/water pump

Post by Les Simmonds »

Works like a charm. Thanks John