Seagull Oscars ?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Seagull Oscars ?

Post by charlesp »

Watching 'The Bodyguard' just now with my daughter, and we got to the bit where the youngster tries to head off onto the lake in the boat.

It was, you guessed it, a very late model Seagull on the transom, and I wondered how often these motors appear in films?

So this starts you off - any advance on 'The Bodyguard'?
Duane A.

Movie's

Post by Duane A. »

Check out -
Father Goose - Old Carry Grant movie - Seagull on his dingy! Lucky Lady with Burt Reynolds - Seagull that gets shot down with machine gun. That's what it takes to kill a Gull! Those are two I know about off the top of my head. I saw another posting somewhere that didn't list these.
D.
Duane A.

Movies

Post by Duane A. »

P.S. neither Seagull in the movies I listed were equal to the time frame of the movies they were supposed to depict. Both looked like 40's 0r 40+. Should have been Marston's or 102's.
D.
Mark
Post by Mark »

Also Doc Martin - didn't see it myself, but follow this thread:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/ ... /1#1290526
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

And, I am reminded, 'The talented Mr Ripley'
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

In the Sword of Honour trilogy by Evelyn Waugh) the hero (can't remember his name right know) is in Crete during WWII. When Crete is abandoned he escapes in an old rowing boat with a Seagull on the transom. At least in the TV version.

Henrik
Duane A.

102?

Post by Duane A. »

Just saw a new movie (for me) last night - Waterland. Looks like a old 102 kicked up on a boat during the eel fishing saga part of the movie. Sounds like a Seagull in another part - but no show of the motor.
D.
Katomi
Post by Katomi »

I have a rather vage memory of a seagull being used on a tender in the early version of "Flipper" the film and the period is about right. Stephen
upthecreek
Post by upthecreek »

Hi, Charles. Four months on and I think you have started something!! A V.W. website tried the same thing and, as far as I know, it's still going. My contribution is; Last night I watched "The Wicker Man" yes I know it's a "cult" film, but it's still good. In the scene where Sergeant Howie (Edward Woodwood) cannot get his seaplane started, as the camera switches to the shore there are two seagulls on the stern of the blue and white dinghies. I think that there is a third, on the stern of the brown boat, on the shore but it's not too clear. Now, can anyone identify them?
rikanaka

Deep Water

Post by rikanaka »

I finally got a chance to rent/watch the DVD "Deep Water" about Donald Crowhurst and the 1968 Golden Globe solo circumnavigation race. I recommend the film highly. During footage of Crowhurst being shuttled out to his trimaran at the start of his ill-fated voyage from Teignmouth I heard the unmistakeable sound of a Seagull engine and was able to fleetingly spot it on the launch being used (had to pause the DVD a few times to see it).
John@sos

Film stars

Post by John@sos »

My wife knows I am a sad case but I had her in fits as I paused and played the clip from the bodyguard. I thought it was interesting!

I am now going to find the old Swallows and Amazons series I taped, sure there was one in there too!

That will get her going!

Regards,
John
SOS
rikanaka

Re: Seagull Oscars ?

Post by rikanaka »

Duane A. wrote:Check out -

Father Goose - Old Carry Grant movie - Seagull on his dingy!

D.
Finally got to watch Father Goose (thanks to netflix streaming). I enjoyed seeing Archie Leach towing a sinking 40+foot wooden launch with an 8' dink powered by a silver century.