Britannia

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: Britannia

Post by Oyster 49 »

I've had a call from the company advertising this coil on Amazon. They have found one! It is on it's way now, a a refund guaranteed if it does not work. Fingers crossed.

The pile of cleaned up and painted parts is starting to grow. I'll strip and clean the carb next.
Attachments
102_1710.JPG
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

That is great that the coil is heading your way. I bet it works like a charm.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Great news about the coil!

When all parts are ready follow my way, wait for 2-3 months, then assemble them :shock: :lol:
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The coil arrived today, fitted it this evening and completed putting the magneto back together. Interestingly there is open circuit between each output and earth, but there is a resistance reading between the 2 outputs. Charles did mention to me that these coils are wired in an odd way?

I used the 1950s Swordfish I have as a testbed, and checked for a spark. It was arcing across from the spark plug to ground about half an inch gap, turning the flywheel by hand with no plugs fitted. Stronger than the SD with a new coil. Very impressed! My arm is numb after getting a good jolt from the plug lead, despite holding it with a cloth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjJ-NDwjtAY
Attachments
Magneto ready to go
Magneto ready to go
New stud made and fitted. 5/16 x 26 cycle thread.
New stud made and fitted. 5/16 x 26 cycle thread.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Impressive! I would be interested to learn the winding of this coil.

So the major problem is solved, right? Can't wait to see her assembled!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

This is the silencer from the Britannia, which I've been working on for a couple of weeks. It is solidly cast in Aluminium. There were several layers of old paint, plus what looked like burnt lacquer. Yuk. Most of the bolts were seized and needed drilling out. The exhaust ports go into the middle, which also has a baffle, thus "silencing" the engine. the water feed goes in at the top so the inner exhaust is always cooled, cooling water exits at the bottom which then circulates back down the leg. The petrol tank sits on the top of the exhaust.

Next job is to strip it down and prepare for paint, first coat being acid etch primer. Not sure which product to use to recreate the original silver enamel type finish. Hammerite smooth is looking like a fair match, and resists moderate heat well if fully cured.

I did think of polishing it, but it would take forever to dress out some of the scrapes and scratches. :roll:
Attachments
102_1723.JPG
102_1724.JPG
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

Hello There , this is my first post and i would just like to say what a fantastic forum it is, i used to rebuild seagulls and then spent 4 years getting to know stuart and turner engines and the other day i purchased a britannia mariner on Ebay. searching the internet to gather info about this engine i find that there is a thread on this forum about britannias so i am hoping that someone can tell me something about this engine , ie the petrol mixture , where to find the serial number ,how to date it, the angle of installation and what size prop is used as i intend to use it in a project some day soon. many thanks in advance for any replys.

ps, i will try and upload some photos of the rebuilt engine. :D
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I like these Britannia engines, quite well engineered and slightly more sophisticated. Best of luck with your rebuild. I believe all Britannia's are 16:1 mix. Serial number will be stamped on the crankcase next to the carb. I think your engine is one of the later ones, as it has a wipac magneto. Early 1950s is suspect. The magneto baseplate or flywheel might be date stamped. Watch out for some odd threads, they are likely to be 26 TPI cycle threads.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Juast something I recall from the Britannia handbook which might be helpful - when testing for a spark at one plug, the other one has to be earthed (ie. is situ)
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Looks like ye are making good progress,can't wait to see it running on youtube :)
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

Hi, thanks for your comments sofar, the mariner has already been dismantled and rebuilt, new gaskets and core plugs all i need now is a couple of spark plugs the champion 7,s are a bit suspect that came with the engine so am looking for replacements or alternatives, any suggestions.i am also looking for any info relating to the output flange which 9s fitted to the end of crank and would connect to the prop shaft. and finally how do i upload photos onto this forum, many thanks pegasus,
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

pegasus*1760 wrote: all i need now is a couple of spark plugs the champion 7,s are a bit suspect that came with the engine so am looking for replacements or alternatives, any suggestions.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/champion-7.html

H-A
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

i have ordered a couple of champion D14 PLUGS to replace the original CHAMPION 7, i did clean the old ones and had the mariner running briefly. i am eager to post some photos but need pointing in the right direction for instruction ,help please :?
i have found what looks to be a serial number could this be it ....MK11MR102W !!.

ALSO I HAVE JUST LOOKED OUTSIDE THE BOX AND FOUND " UPLOAD ATTACHMENT " :wink:
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

some photos of my Mariner , purchased from ebay a couple of weeks ago . this engine is featured in this thread unrestored, original photo posted by H.A via ebay.
Attachments
Britannia mariner photos
Britannia mariner photos
Last edited by pegasus*1760 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pegasus*1760

Post by pegasus*1760 »

here are a couple more photos which didnt upload the last time.
Attachments
htc 1x photos 1191.jpg
htc 1x photos 1191.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 427 times
htc 1x photos 1214.jpg
htc 1x photos 1214.jpg (17.18 KiB) Viewed 427 times