British Anzani UniTwin

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

British Anzani UniTwin

Post by Keith.P »

I was watching an Anzani UniTwin 15hp on Ebay out of interest, even though it had the spark plug cover missing, most times they have gone.
But I was more interested in the starting price of £200, no way, silly money I thought.
I thought wrong, after one initial bid that didn't move until the end, it sold for £232, I know prices go up from time to time, but what can I say, amazed.
AusAnzani

Re: British Anzani UniTwin

Post by AusAnzani »

I was watching that with some interest as well Kieth.

Of course it was local collection only (I'm in Australia) so I couldn't buy it anyway but I was keen to see what it would sell for.

Unfortunately Unitwins are far less cmmon over here, otherwise I'd already have one in the collection.

Am still looking for a replacement con rod for my Pilot, so if you have any ideas, please don't hesitate to let me know.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I only have a cylinder, head and a complete P handle pilot languishing in the shed unloved, but no con rod, sorry.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks Keith :)
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

AusAnzani wrote:I was watching that with some interest as well Kieth.

Of course it was local collection only (I'm in Australia) so I couldn't buy it anyway but I was keen to see what it would sell for.

Unfortunately Unitwins are far less cmmon over here, otherwise I'd already have one in the collection.

Am still looking for a replacement con rod for my Pilot, so if you have any ideas, please don't hesitate to let me know.
Still looking for con rod. I have offered to fix yours if you send me the kit as requested remember. Offer still stands.

I have this on the way from UK buy the way...........

Ebay Item 221509751937.

Cheap which I like and an easy sale. I have the missing bits.

I am going Bush for a while, enough of big smoke and internet coverage. Bah!

Catch up when back aye.

Cheers

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Yes you did make that kind offer Bruce, however with the bunch of other old dears also in need of some love and attention, I guess I had forgotten.

Will try to get the con rod and crank off to you some time next week, but will call you about that first since you're going away.

I was also looking at that Evinrude, a sweet little thing. .
timwakefield

Post by timwakefield »

I have presently in pieces an old Anzani twin. It has cast iron cylinders, and amal carb, and the fuel tank sort of covers the whole thing. I had been left for many years and there is a lot of accumulated grime and grease on it. I haven't yet located the serial number and the tank's paint is non existent. I have no idea of the year, model, and can find no pictures of a similar engine. Im may be possible for some restoration as most parts are there and is reasonable condition.
I need some advice on dismantling the leg and gearbox. I have the power head off and it will clean up OK. Sourcing gaskets will be another issue as some are copper.

Cheers
Tim Wakefield
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Its hard to say without a picture, you could have the unitwin, magnatwin or a super single times two type motor, if it has separate cylinders with an Amal carb between them, then I have only seen two of them, they had a utility version and a racing one, other than that little is known about them.
If the cylinders are cast as one block, its either a magnatwin or a unitwin.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

AusAnzani wrote:Unfortunately Unitwins are far less cmmon over here, otherwise I'd already have one in the collection.
I knocked one back a few years ago in Sydney. Way to heavy and cumbersome for me these days :?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Hugz wrote:
AusAnzani wrote:Unfortunately Unitwins are far less cmmon over here, otherwise I'd already have one in the collection.
I knocked one back a few years ago in Sydney. Way to heavy and cumbersome for me these days :?
Mine just leans against a wall past the back rack because I am too old and fat to lift it on to a stand. It runs REALLY sweet but noway can I actually lug it about to effectively use.

I need to dust it off a bit though.

20112014013.jpg
B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The unitwins are pretty cumbersome, a 15hp I see C.I, I thought it was green. once you have lifted one you can understand why they fitted carrying handles. :?
I was intrigued in the comment of cast iron cylinders, if they are plural, it could be sportstwin, if it is, it would look like two super single engines bolted side by side, slightly offset, with the amal carb mounted between the cylinders.

My Unitwin is hiding in the back of the shed, couldn't get to it it I wanted too.

If you can't beat them------
timwakefield

Post by timwakefield »

Thank you all for the comments guys! I have done some more dismantling and have further information. The engine has cast iron horizontally opposed cylinders. It would be about 150cc. Ignition is Wico, and made in Bletchley UK. I have found some numbers on various parts once they were cleaned up.
Gearbox BES 5782
Crankcase SW 2795 SC
Top drive housing BR 5431 1-8 5762
2016 7??? &2

I should have taken a photo before I started! I don't think it has been apart before as most nuts and bolts are very tidy, but I have no idea how long since it has been used.
timwakefield

Post by timwakefield »

I should also mention that the cast cylinders are one piece, like the 102 seagull. The spark plug come in from the side of the block though. The blocks are faintly stamped with T&J as part of the casting, and the numbers 2069 and 1.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Are you sure you don't mean Britannia, as British Anzani never made a cast iron cylinder horizontally opposed twin.

The Britannia Swordfish Mk2 had a Wico ignition.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »