The Early Series Forty Models. F,Fv,FVP,LS & LM

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

The Early Series Forty Models. F,Fv,FVP,LS & LM

Post by Gannet »

The attached List/Data Sheets for the F, FV, FVP, LS & LM Models list the serial numbers and some of the significant build standard details of those surviving engines of which I am aware. In the list I have recorded some details of the changes that occurred during the production of this model range.
I hope this might be of interest and of use to some.
There are 8 off scanned sheets. The first batch are sheets 1,2 and 3.
I would be grateful to receive information about surviving engines or indeed just crankcases that are not on the list.

A lot of the information in the list has been compiled from information supplied by the owners of the engines. I would be grateful if owners could check the data and let me know of the errors and omissions - I am sure that there are plenty!
Also, please contact me if you would like other specific information to be collected and recorded.
The listing of the data from known surviving engines, is in some respect, just the means to achieving the recording of the production build standard of these engines, and the point at which changes occurred. However the simple listing of surviving engines is also useful in itself. Although I am sure that this list represents only a very small proportion of the surviving engines.

Jeremy
Attachments
Scan of The Early Series Forty. Pg 1. 17th Dec 2015.jpg
Scan of The Early Series Forty. Pg 2.. 17th Dec 2015.jpg
Scan of The Early Series Forty. Pg 3. 17th Dec 2015.jpg
Gannet

Re: The Early Series Forty Models. F,Fv,FVP,LS & LM

Post by Gannet »

This second batch are sheets 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.
Scan of The Early Series Forty. Pg 4. 17th Dec 2015.jpg
Scan of The Early Series Forty. Pg 5. 17th Dec 2015.jpg
Scan of The Early Series Forty. Pg 6. 17th Dec 2015.jpg
Scan of The Early Series Forty. Pg 7. 17th Dec 2015.jpg
Scan of The Early Series Forty. Pg 8. 17th Dec 2015.jpg
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Good work Jeremy very interesting read. ...
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
MoodyBlue

Post by MoodyBlue »

Not all my motors are Forty models as I try to collect ALL models.

Collection covers most models and at the moment I have 18 motors with 12 of those being complete and running.

I have an Excel sheet that details my collection, and at least two of them are Forty models but can't attach Excel files here.

I had no idea of the various iterations and changes so your sheets are a valued source of info.

My collection is located in Victoria, Australia.

Regards

Jeff
Attachments
SG9 Before.JPG
SG9 After.JPG
MoodyBlue

Post by MoodyBlue »

Don't the SJP series come under the "Forty" banner

The identifier lists my SJP32312 as a 1960-61 Forty?

Jeff
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi Jeff

Good to have another Australian seagull enthusiast with us!!

OK, your SJP is a model forty plus; the models F, FV, FVP, LS & LM are all 'Little Model 40s', or forty minuses.

Could you please advise your email so we can get in contact? My email is ausobcollector (@) gmail (.) com

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Jeff,
You have a very smart FV/FVP there.
I hope my data list has been interesting and helpful to you. I would like to add it to the list - the more the better.
I will send you a pm with my e mail address. So please send me the details to me by e mail or pm, whatever suits you.
It certainly looks very smart. Wish mine looked as smart! A great pair of before and after photos. Well done.

Jeremy
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Hi Jeremy,

Just notice this and yes I use the list often but was wondering if you had an up date, I'm still using the November 14. If you have please email me

AJ
Sandro Picchio

Post by Sandro Picchio »

Hi Jeremy,

the list of earlier Fourtys is very interesting. It's curious that more than 16% of the old dears are in Australia and New Zealand.

I still own, and from time to time run, my Fourty Plus SJP 894E3 of 1963.

If also a list of Fourty Pluses exists and if you like, I can e-mail or pm or post all the details.
It can be useful because the engine is all original, I am positive that nothing was changed since bought new, except the tilting catch plastic pivot that broke and is presently an M6 brass bolt.
Please let me know.

Happy seagulling

Sandro
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Sandro,

Thanks for the information on your SJP. AusOB_Collector is gathering information on the SJM/SJP range and i am sure that he will note this information on your original SJP and he might contact you.

I seem to remember that it was you who notified me about FV2549, which is, as you can see on the list. Thanks. Keep looking for more engines in the range F, FV, FVP, LS and LM !

Jeremy
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Sandro,

I forgot to comment on the results of your analysis that 16% are in Australia and New Zealand. Interesting.
I am not surprised by that figure. In the late 40s and earl 50s, UK manufacturing was striving very hard and successfully to export goods. Australia and New Zealand would have been an obvious market for outboard engines. I have no idea what percentage were exported there, but it would not surprise me if it was higher than 16% .
I wonder what the figure is for 102s over the same period. Perhaps Jon has collected sufficient 102 info to comment......

This just shows what knowledge can be gleaned by a simple tabulation of data of surviving engines. More power to your elbow Jon on the 102s and I hope that Boyd is reeling in information on the SJM/SJP range.

Jeremy
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Could be because so many of us downunderers are on the forum. As per forum members per capita one would expect the percentage to be up around 40% so one can assume not many over here. The 102's will be different...they are everywhere here.
geofflena

Post by geofflena »

Don't understand what is a tank with a 3/4" radius end ? Is that the radius of the corner ?

Appreciate how much work there is in that lot Jeremy - I have always been confused about the little forty models.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Geoff,
You aren't the only one confused! I think that we are all a bit confused!
Even what the name Little Model Forty refers to you is a bit vague. Charles P, I think says it refers to just the initial F model and possibly the FV.
That makes sense to me.
However the F, FV, FVP, LM & LS are a series if for no other reason that they used the same sequence of serial numbers from 100 to 38344.Technically they are similar, especially in respect of the open water jacket design.

The next range of Forty models were the SJM/SJP which used the sequence of numbers from 10 to 56054, before the numbering system was changed to include a date code.
I believe that the SJM/SJP were so called because the most significant technical change over the LS/LM was the water jacket which was now sealed from the crankcase. So that I suggest that SJM was an acronym for Sealed Jacket Minus.

Your question about the 3/4" radius - yes, that is the edge radius of the early LS tanks, which were a re- angled version of the 'canted oval ' tank. later LSs had a different dimensioned tank with 7/16" edge rads.

Jeremy
Sandro Picchio

Post by Sandro Picchio »

Gannet wrote:
I seem to remember that it was you who notified me about FV2549, which is, as you can see on the list.
Jeremy
It was me.
By the way the owner was an Englishman, living in Italy I understand.

AusOB_Collector contacted me about my 40+. I'll collect the data and send them him.

All the best

Sandro