Ebay laugh out loud thread..

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: Ebay laugh out loud thread..

Post by Charles uk »

That carb is rare Bruce it came from a late model SD 160, not many of us have seen one of those!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Doesn't look very new to me
but it's only £19.99 plus P&P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seagull-outbo ... xyIAZRwraQ
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

These always seem to get in the way of searching!

Maybe the Captain (OR 1st Mate) buys all of the pink ones........they will go away.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/22121236 ... rmvSB=true

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

OK

Serviced by "Local Agent"

When I service an outboard it actually looks like it has been touched by a human recently?

I laugh out loud with this one aye!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seagull-Minor ... SwImRYFjCM

A blue bag is not a service. A blue bag is a............blue bag :lol:

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I think that's been on Ebay for ever.
I did see last week an outboard for sale, a four stroke pictured in a bucket, in parts in a bucket, but the listing say, the motor was complete, around £300, I think it was.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Quite a lot of later parts, magneto, transom bracket etc.

Were AHC engines in the same number range as other AC engines? If so then the cylinder looks like a later one too. Not much originality here.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Oyster, what do you think is wrong, other than the obvious?
Cylinder with brass plug looks right to me.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Sorry you are right it is the earlier cylinder with the brass hex plug. The picture is slightly out of focus. Wrong magneto base plate and transom bracket though. Carb inlet is wrong. Was the long range tank available in the early post war period? I don't know.

This is not a laugh out loud listing either! :shock:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I can see what Keith found so interesting, an early AHC that looks like could have the right skeleton, if anyone is going to view it, I have a couple of questions I'd like answered.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I'm all ears Chas.

Just so everyone knows, HANDS OFF! I saw it first, just didn't want to say :oops:

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I don't see £75 of desirability there Jon, only about half of that, as it will only ever be an ornament after finding all the correct parts.

Anyone who's ever used one will tell you they don't quite do what it says on the tin!

You will be asking the same questions that I'd ask & I have no desire to own it, only get some answers.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Well, actually i already have a bargie AHC 102, a little bit younger than this one (slotted core plugs) and i rather like it as well as a later THC. Not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but does the job on my bigger boat at a much more relaxed pace which suits me just fine. No point in rushing about all over the place with one of these cos they're just not up to it. I agree with you on that point at least. Nothing wrong with going slow once in a while :P
Desirability is a personal thing, and this is one gull on my "desire list". I have a fair few of the others now of most ages, and this would look quite good amongst others in my flock.
As far as ornaments go, IF this were to come home with me, sooner or later it would find it's way onto a transom. You either like 102's for what they are, or you pass on by and try a century instead. Each to their own with seagulls.

Now as far as i can see in the pics, this bargie has what i think to be most of it's original "skeleton". Cylinder=good,crankcases=good,drive leg=good,gearbox and pumphousing=good,inlet cowl=WRONG, the carb might end up being wrong too but not the end of the world, fuel pipe=WRONG. props ..... never really been too happy with how the 3 bladed sits on the gearbox. The hub of the prop looks too small to me. A 4 bladed fits in all the right places without looking out of place. I remain open minded on this however.
Long range fuel tanks are a difficult one to answer at the moment, but i see nothing wrong with it for now apart from being a bit bashed on the ends and the wrong colour!.The tiller has something to be desired however, no biggie really. Can't see a tank cap for a look see. Might be right, could be wrong too. (i'd be very happy if it had a bayonet cap on this)
The bracket looks to be a mix and match in some of the parts, not all bad however. Missing its thrust block though.
The entire ignition system has been swapped out at some point,not too big a problem provided it all comes apart with no fuss. The tilt stay bracket is off something a bit newer (2 shark teeth not 1?) AND it's got those dreaded dots in the serial number :roll: . We might get to the bottom of this one day. All in all it fits very nicely indeed with other A series 102's that are pre-1950 (pre-sub ejector housing)
So as far as originality goes, i've seen much MUCH better, but certainly not the end of the world for this one.
The parts required to bring it back to normal (whatever that might be) could be tricky though.

Just my observations you understand :P

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Back on thread. I had to smile at this one, mixed up photos, and the gearbox on the FVP :P Actually not a bad parts engine potentially, however listing says frost damage, but I can't see it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-old-s ... Swux5YKKie