140 Gear Box Oil

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Stuttz1

140 Gear Box Oil

Post by Stuttz1 »

I have been to marine stores and phoned one other in my area seeking 140 Oil but to be only informed that they have stopped making it. Anyone know of another oil that can be used?
Thanks Stewart
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Its readily available here in the States (and Im sure in the UK) since its used on farm implements all the time....

I buy mine from 'NAPA" which is an automotive parts distributor here in the States - we have a local store in our rural area and they took one day to get some shipped from the warehouse.

Im sure posters in the UK can direct you to a source!!
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Stewart they have not stopped making it.

I just took delivery of a case full from Frosts last week! See the links page for Frosts website.

Try classic car garages, LandRover Dealers or Agricultural merchants. Last week two owners, opposite ends of the UK bought it for £11 a gallon! share it with a few mates!

We used to be able to get it in 500ml, then only 1 litre, now commonly in 5 litres. Frosts still sell it by the litre. I sell it but it costs £5.00 to send it! Frosts have a bigger courier deal and can do it chaeper!

Hope this helps,
John
SOS
Duane A.

Post by Duane A. »

John,
As always it’s great to see your profit margin is all about helping all us Seagull people put our motors in top shape above your gaining a couple of extra pounds. I appreciate the help you have given me over time and the generosity of the not so simple things (according to other business owners I deal with) that you have provided. Case in point – I needed a set screw (NOS) for a brass fuel tap and you sent a complete rebuild kit with my medium sized parts order at a more than reasonable price exchange. Thank you for your caring and fair business practices.
Fair Winds.
Duane
erik0905

oil

Post by erik0905 »

I have just found about 100 L BP Energol visco. 220, for wich the compagni has no use, is it suiteble for the gear, if not can it be thinned with an other to reach 140 ? One should think, that if 140 is ok in the vinter, with temp. below 0, then 220 should be ok in the sommer, or in warm places.
think ahead of doing
http://www.baadside.dk/
Erik
Stuttz1

Post by Stuttz1 »

Thanks all for your help about the Gear Box Oil as i have cleaned both my engines out and couldn't find any oil was getting worried.
Thanks again
StephenRT

Oil

Post by StephenRT »

If anyone is is interested, EP140 can be ordered online from Millers Oils based in Yorkshire (www.millersoils.net)
EP140 is listed in their Classic Gear Oils range,cost is £4.51 per litre or £14.64 for 5 litres.I don’t know delivery costs as I am able to get mine from my local tractor dealer here in Cornwall.
Hope this is of help to someone.

On a slightly different topic.
I have a small flock of 40 plus gulls,all of which suffer from the “rusty legâ€
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Have you considered rechroming? I have had a few tubes done, and a few silencers and 102 tank straps, with excellent results. It's surprising how deep pitting has to be before they say no.

The firm doing it used to do the plating for British Seagull.

PM me and maybe we can work something out...
erik0905

Re: Oil

Post by erik0905 »

[quote="StephenRT"]If anyone is is interested, EP140 can be ordered online from Millers Oils based in Yorkshire (www.millersoils.net)
EP140 is listed in their Classic Gear Oils range,cost is £4.51 per litre or £14.64 for 5 litres.I don’t know delivery costs as I am able to get mine from my local tractor dealer here in Cornwall.
Hope this is of help to someone.

On a slightly different topic.
I have a small flock of 40 plus gulls,all of which suffer from the “rusty legâ€
think ahead of doing
http://www.baadside.dk/
Erik
kenthegeordie
Post by kenthegeordie »

Got mine from Morris Lubricants. Price was OK. But bought 5 litre tin (may have been a gallon; not sure).
gadget

Post by gadget »

got mine from jeff smiths oils( on the net ) £15 per 5 liters + £7 overnight carrage.
regards gadget
John@sos

New supplier for 140 oil

Post by John@sos »

I have it on good authority that Ford commercal dealers will have 140 grade oil on the shelf. They have a vehicle that apparently uses it in the back axle. 1 litre just £3.15!

If I find this is true and can lay my hands on some I will, it is cheaper than I can get 1 litre cans for!

Sadly it will still cost £5.00 a time to post it in the UK!

Regards to all

John
SOS
bigoink

GEARBOX ADDITIVE............

Post by bigoink »

Check my posting in general topics...........use a good dollop (about 1 egg cupfull )of Molyslip gearbox additive, mixed in with the 140, with each oil change. End of all gearbox lube problems. :wink: