Silver Century Plus noise when in gear

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Shawn
Silver Century Plus noise when in gear

Post by Shawn »

I have a '68 or '69 Silver Century Plus longshaft. I haven't run it in a few years.

I put in a 25:1 jet and when I went to tank test it it fired right up and was running fine. However, when I put it in gear I am getting a loud whirring that doesn't sound right and I don't think it was doing it last time I ran it.

I drained the lower end and I had the thick tan sludge of 140 weight emulsion that has been in there. I took the lower unit cover off to clean it all out. The gears look a little corroded but I have never had it open before so I don't know if that is how they have always been.

With the plug removed and the main gear out when I spin the flywheel I don't hear any sort of rubbing in the driveshaft.

Any thoughts on things to check. I can post pictures of the gears if that helps.

Thanks,

Shawn
Taspiper

Re: Silver Century Plus noise when in gear

Post by Taspiper »

The only thing I can think of is that the gears are running without enough clearance. The only way this may of changed is if you took the cover off for cleaning before you noticed the noise and altered some clearances by changing the gasket?
Maybe the rubber grit seal has swollen causing the gears to run tighter by pushing the prop shaft forward?
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

Hi Rolf,

I didn't take the cover off until I heard the noise.

Checking it out again I realized the pinion gear isn't fixed in place vertically. With one finger I can push it up into the housing far enough that it isn't engaging the ring gear at all.

I can't imagine that being normal?

Shawn
electrosys

Post by electrosys »

You shouldn't be able to do that with the pinion ... sounds as if the pinion sleeve bearing has come loose.
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

Yes and maybe the pinion has become seized in the bush. Time to pull appart....
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com