under water

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

chaldon3
Re: under water

Post by chaldon3 »

the collector inspector is right there will be i am sure little grains of sand in the internals,
now it has run and dried out i can look at stripping next week and i guess new rings and bearings will not go a miss.
i need to reassess my moorings as sugested.
my other century plus is on my boat i use on chester river and the odd trip out of anglesea. however i still have another gull i can use as back up on the dee.
how did i end up with 3 seagulls :?: :mrgreen: regards DF from garry
the animals are winding me up
chaldon3

Post by chaldon3 »

bought this hull 2 years ago and fitted a lister petter. the century plus pushes as well as the 6.5 lister
Attachments
2014-04-29 17.53.08.jpg
2014-03-15 17.52.04.jpg
2014-02-11 14.10.25.jpg
g649roYLvH0-8x-FyrqOQU-zFdrXd1cYyFOhm34DDNg.jpg
chaldon3

Post by chaldon3 »

pics
Attachments
2014-02-11 14.09.39.jpg
2014-03-28 18.05.51.jpg
2014-03-15 17.34.29.jpg
2014-02-11 14.09.21.jpg
Dinghy fisherman

Post by Dinghy fisherman »

Very nice. :P
These bloody dinghy's can be addictive things cant they? Ive got a trip planned to look at a 16ft orkney long liner copy this wk-end. with trailer and outboard, not a gull im afraid. if i buy this it will be my estuary boat for the mullet and bass next season as it will be better suited than the 8ft mighty minnow.
Just dont tell my wife, not yet anyway.. . . . . . :lol:

PS. How hard was the lister to fit and balance with the hull as this is something i am really considering for next year. Do you have any leakage at the swage (?) bearing and do you use a stuffing box, pardon the expression?

I have limited (but more than some) experiance and wondered if it was a job i could do.
It's not the size of your rod that counts, it's how deep you can waggle your maggot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Fantastic news that the old girl is back up and running (of a fashion for now at least)

As has been mentioned by CI , before you intend to use your motor for any more serious use it is very wise to completely strip the powerhead and carefully inspect all of the internals. The last thing you want is little bits of grit everywhere acting like grinding paste thus hastening the demise of the old bird!

You might very well be lucky in that all it might need is a thorough clean up, bar a couple of gaskets and a new plug! (fingers crossed)

Would it not be a better idea to keep the motor at home warm and dry, and only fitted to the transom when you actually use the boat. A bit of a hassle i know, but if the boat goes under again at least the boat is the easier of the two to sort out......just my thoughts

Best of luck, but if you get stuck with anything just ask.

Jon
chaldon3

Post by chaldon3 »

hi df to be fair it was not too hard fitting the lister in the boat the engine did just fit low enough to line up with the shaft with a bit of luck more than any
thing all went well not a professionl but a solid diy job.
as of the angle of degree the engine is at i was luckey the lister came with a deep sump.
i bought the engine from a chap on smokstak new old stock and the som gear box was reconditioned
it starts off the key or by hand and has abuilt in charger system.
i fitted an oil catch pot on the breather incase it gets rough and the extra oil in the sump goes through the pipe cause a run away .
the actuator you can see has a 12v feed through the oil pressure switch so if the wee boat gets bounced about and i lose oil pressure the engine cuts out.
both mods to be honest not needed.
yes i used a stuffing box and yes it needs a small drip out of the packed gland to keep the packing from burning.
just like the gull, lister giver reliability and solid build and the parts are cheap. hmmmm i have 2 more liser engines a 6 hp and a 7.5hp and a spare som box.
seagull bug and the lister bug yes and the dinghy bug, well i do not drink or smoke so hording is my vice.
thanks jon for your advice i will in the next week or two strip the old girl (with the help of the club 8) ) and see what happens.
one thing i did notice on the old girl was how bright the spark was compared to the 4hp century i have been trying to get running with out cutting out.
may have found the issue . thanks guys regards garry.
Dinghy fisherman

Thanks for the reply garry, i feel i will be heading this way on a boat soon if i follow with an idea i have. You know the score, mad dogs and fisherman huh? :lol:
Im glad recent events are being sorted with a positive outcome, never nice seeing a dinghy and outboard in trouble.

DF
It's not the size of your rod that counts, it's how deep you can waggle your maggot.
chaldon3

Post by chaldon3 »

thanks my friend.
Dinghy fisherman

Hows it all going with the clean up and sorting out your new mooring set up?
Hope its all sorted now. On my 40ft live aboard i set up a system of stringer weights ( im sure you know how this works) as i too was moored on a tidal river with a drop of some height. This was a simple rise and fall to the tide not like the tide seems to be with yours. Thinking about this method it would work very well for your situation as it would allow the boat movement with the tide as it fell away from the bank, keeping its keel in water and not in the mud.
Hope the gulls back in use too.

DF
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

chaldon3 wrote:the collector inspector is right there will be i am sure little grains of sand in the internals,
now it has run and dried out i can look at stripping next week and i guess new rings and bearings will not go a miss.
i need to reassess my moorings as sugested.
my other century plus is on my boat i use on chester river and the odd trip out of anglesea. however i still have another gull i can use as back up on the dee.
how did i end up with 3 seagulls :?: :mrgreen: regards DF from garry

Relax in replacing bushes/bearings and things as well as rings aye.

Everything just to removed, cleaned and put back together with attention to CLEAN.

Mark what is removed and backtrack as per.

Base gasket probably but the water jacket will take care of itself so no need to take the head off.

No big deal...........

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
chaldon3

Post by chaldon3 »

hi collector inspector thanks for the heads up, i have not stripped her yet lack of time i managed to get a can of acf50 from a friend that works up the road at areospace.
i have the bird in the boiler room and have applied copious amounts through both inlets and turn over by hand every few days with another squirt of acf50. end of month i will commit to a god strip and clean thank you.
hi dinghy fisherman, all cleaned up nets un tangled an catching a few mullet and 1 bass.
as you can see from my original mooring i did not do too well.
i normaly keep my small boats in a different gutter which was a lot more stable sinkers weights were never needed however there is a bit of a boom with cockles past 2 years and the main gutter if full of boats and a nightmare to enter at night.
so tried my luck in this gutter, the problem i am finding is the gutter leads to a medium lagoon which along with a large loss of marsh land and the fact that even on smaller tides which now flood over the land where my truck can be seen. the run off is moving the small channel in gutter by up to 5 ft
each week. i am a lot higher up bank at the moment which is giving me about 3 to 4 hours boating time which is ok for me.
when i had my 26ft i left it out in the channel just off the bank (45 gallon drum full of concrete sunk with chain and swivel to pick up rope and bouy)
that worked very well.
like the idea of a live aboard once my 3 kids have left home i could fancy addind that to my wish list however mrs clark says not a chance were keeping our house. many thanks for your advise guys always welcome.
ps this is on my wish list but i have 3 already. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Seagu ... 419c5e1a39
Dinghy fisherman

Glad its all going well. :P

Lived on the boat during the yrs when i was between my ex and my now wife and to be honest it was great. The couple of yrs were the most stress free in my life so far, to the point that mrs dinghy fisherman and I are well on our way to moving back on the river full time. That is so more viable now our sons are leaving home and carving out their own futures. Seems i cant keep away from the river.