FVP crankshaft

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

billyboy

FVP crankshaft

Post by billyboy »

i have a late sixties featherweight which i fear has an earlier mode l(shorter stroke) crankshaft installed in its original F crankcase.i came to this conclusion when there was no flywheel cutout over the points when the piston was at TDC. after having a chat with charles uk (thanks again) i feel confident that i will solve the problem by simply making a new position for the baseplate dimple after suitable experimentation to find its best running and starting position.however now i am wondering if that solution would have the engine runnong on less compression that it should because of the shorter stroke. was the crank the only difference in these earlier models or was there a difference in the rod or piston itself? maybe not an easy question but i'm hoping somebody will know ...thans guys
charlesp

Re: FVP crankshaft

Post by charlesp »

Hmmm. I'm fairly7 confident that your problem could be a Century crank, not an FVP/FV one. A shorter stroke wouldn't displace the flywheel cutout.

Century and Forty cranks are very similar, the diameters and lengths are identical. But there is more beef in the Century cranks, together with - in your case crucial - the key is in a different place.

That accounts for thedifference in locking screw placement on forty & century crankcases. On your Forty it'll be facing forward as mounted on ther transom. On Centuries etc it's over the tiller arm lug closer to the tank.

If you've got a century or another forty lying around check 'em out. I reckon that a dimple in the same place as a Century's dimple would get you running.

Better would be to get a forty crank, of course.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

well actually i do have an FVP crank and case that produces a nice spark when the screw is at 6 o'clock but i presumed using the crank from that would give me the same problem. never thought that it might be a century crank in the featherweight! excellent suggestion.... thanks
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

well i finally got around to putting the engine back together with the FV crank in the late featherweight case. however when i try to fit the flywheel on the wipac baseplate it wants to slide too far down the shaft and catch itself on the plastic covered coil as it turns! maybe a bent crank i guess but i was wondering if the early cranks were different somehow in that area and if i got a late model crank ( or a villiers ignition)then things might work out still. any ideas would be welcome