Flying Junior Seagull?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Mutineer

Flying Junior Seagull?

Post by Mutineer »

Hello
Judging by the similiar sized boats listed (enterprise, lido 14 etc)it seems a 40 plus might be the best choice for a Seagull kicker for a Flying Junior Sailing Dinghy (14')
Anybody had one on an FJ
And any opinions on this?
If attacked by a group of clowns
Go for the juggler!
blue

Re: Flying Junior Seagull?

Post by blue »

my association with seagulls started when i fished in a bay with 20 other seagull engined boats---sizes ranged from 11-15 feet---i had a 102---everyone else had centurys---i am sure a 40 will move your boat but i would go for a larger engine for the times when you are heavily loaded or the wind or the tide are against you----regards blue
skipthescrounger

Post by skipthescrounger »

We had acouple when I was in Sea Scouts back in the 60s. The FJs where alot heavyer then and we never had any problem with them. They moved them along pretty good on a windless day. Enven when we turned turrtle with them we whould just drain them out and away we would go. They were really forgiving. They were used into the late 80s until they were disposed of by some scout master who wanted something newer aka jap crap motors. they didnt work under water too good.just make sure you have the storm cowl.
atoyot

Post by atoyot »

I would agree that a Century of any model has more authority in serious wind or waves. I've got a Century Plus and a 40+ & both of these move even a 17' planing hull sailboat operating in "displacement mode" really nicely against either form of resistance, in my experience. If you're looking to buy an engine, then yes perhaps the CP would give you an edge in the worst of conditons. If you already have a 40+ in hand then use it, it'll serve you well. It's a little bit lighter in weight, too, though not by much.

I find that it's hard to get the CP to tilt up enough to keep the prop out of the water on a starboard tack, though the one here is a long shaft which you probably won't need. Seagulls seem a bit longer than their modern cousins even in the standard shaft, enough so that if (for instance) a Nissan 3.5's cavitation plate is just at the water while on your transom, a Seagull standard shaft will likely be at the appropriate depth to operate.

-Ted
There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.
- Prof. Peter Drucker