Should I buy it?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

bruce nickerson

Should I buy it?

Post by bruce nickerson »

Have been offered the following:

I have a silver century plus $175 [US]. The water jacket surrounding the Block was patched with JB weld I am able to start it. The outboard is complete. Here is a link of the outboard starting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4aHCTiEWaM

I am tempted to say no, or offer considerable reduced price for parts.

Advice?
Taspiper

Re: Should I buy it?

Post by Taspiper »

What's he spraying into the carb? WD40 or start ya bastard? So it runs but maybe has fuel or carby issues? Will it run for longer or idle? Looks pretty original but if the block is cracked it will probably need another sometime. Without seeing the rest of it, here in Aus I'd pay $100 as spares or a fixer upper.
Cheers Rolf.

www.acmeengineering.com.au
www.rolfhey.com
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I don't know the going rate over there, but over here a cracked water jacket usually means I wouldn't touch it unless it was very cheap.

Other questions to ask - Does it pump water? Is the transom bracket complete? What does he spray into the carb? And what's the gearbox like?
bruce nickerson

Post by bruce nickerson »

Many thanks. Seller claims he can replace block for $40.00 US and then sell for $300.00. I think he's dreaming? For future reference for me, are blocks eadily available and inexpensive?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

A new cylinder available from British Seagull will cost you $200, Seagull would have to ship that to you to save our 20% sales tax, which is not included in the $200, but a cylinder weighs 6.6 lbs & the post & packing would probably cost another $100, it might pay you to buy some new gaskets & head bolts in case you damage any.

My advice to you would be buy your Seagull elsewhere & as far from the sea as possible.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
chris

Post by chris »

in that condition I usually offer around $50, looks like the carb needs a clean